BIS # 4067 CERTIFICATE DISTRIBUTION AT DOLOURS CENTRE FOR EMPOWERMENT

by Ms. Celine D'silva (DCE)

WADALA-MUMBAI, AUGUST 5, 2014: Dolours Centre for Empowerment (DCE) in its endeavour to empower the marginalized of society surged ahead with the help of their Social Workers viz. Mrs. Dolcy D'souza and Ms. Heena Kausar Khan and formed 16 Self Help Groups (SHGS). The centre aims to provide skills/training to the members of the SHGS which would enable them to generate funds/income for themselves and their families.


In this regard two Beautician's courses, spread over two and a half months were conducted by the DCE to train fifty women.  The two courses which began in March 2014 and concluded in May 2014 were conducted by professionals viz. Ms. Pratima and Ms. Aasma, at the Our Lady of Dolours premises.  The participants were taught hair braiding, facial, waxing, manicure, pedicure, hair coloring etc.  A trip to crawford market was also organised as part of the programme.  Each participant was awarded a certificate on the successful completion of the course on July 31, 2014.


During the distribution of certificates, a few of the participants shared the following, "I got a lot of confidence after joining the beautician's course. Today I am with a Beauty Parlour which is close to my house and do get a regular salary", "I had a lot of financial and family problems . However, I got a lot of support, help and encouragement from Dolcy and Heena Ma'm.  After joining one of the SHGs, I completed the Beautician Course and now I am able to help my family.  It gives me a sense of pride that I am not dependent on my husband and in-laws and am able to pay the fees of my children", "After completing the course, I did a bridal makeup and also makeup for the relatives of the bride, which was much appreciated by all.  Now I do some beauticians treatment in my neighbourhood and earn money."


DCE endeavours to train and empower women. They also plan to conduct classes in tailoring, computer, cooking etc. Other than these programmes, they would continue their efforts towards building and strengthening the Senior Citizens group, covering as many needy families with health insurance, education, and any other support required by the marginalized.