BIS #4465 FROM "ŒCAN I?" TO "ŒI CAN!"


FROM 'CAN I?' TO 'I CAN!'

by Ashwini Gupte

 

MUMBAI, JUNE 19, 2015: Over 325 teachers from seven Don Bosco schools from across Mumbai attended a workshop entitled 'Design for change' on June 11.

The workshop was conducted by personnel from Riverside School, Ahmedabad and focussed on the need for student collaboration in order to bring about necessary changes in the functioning of schools.

 

Teachers from Don Bosco High School, Matunga; St. Joseph's School, Wadala; Don Bosco School, Borivli; Dominic Savio School, Andheri; Don Bosco School, Naigaum; Don Bosco School, Nerul and Don Bosco School, Yerawada took part in the workshop.

 

Design for change is a movement that cultivates the 'I Can' mindset in a child. This 'I Can' spirit helps empower children and gives them an opportunity to express their own ideas for a better world and put them into action.

 

The programme stresses that children are not helpless and can use a four-pronged plan to help introduce change.

 

 

Teachers were taught that through a simple design process of Feel-Imagine-Do-Share, children can identify and transform anything that bothered them in their community – shifting their mindset from 'Can I?' to 'I Can!'